What to look for when choosing a short-term rehabilitation center
When a doctor recommends staying in a short-term rehabilitation center following surgery or medical event, you may not know what to expect. What you should know is that, in many cases, post-hospital, short-term rehabilitation is the quickest and safest path to recovery. There are many facilities that offer short-term care but they are not all the same. Here are five areas to consider when choosing short-term care.
1. Begin with insurance, accreditation and ratings. One of the first things to consider is whether your insurance or Medicare will be accepted. Knowing the cost upfront makes it easier to plan for your stay. Next, ask about accreditation and certification from such accrediting authorities as the Joint Commission. Also ask about the rehabilitation center’s rating in Medicare’s five star rating system, which will help you determine the quality of care given. If they care about quality, they will strive to earn the highest ratings and accreditation.
2. Check on available expertise. Make sure that the short-term rehabilitation center offers the specific services you need. If you will need physical therapy, find out when and where therapy is offered. Some facilities have the latest equipment while others offer very little. Ask whether the therapists have had experience dealing with your particular needs. Check on other special services you might need including occupational therapy, wound care or respiratory therapy.
3. Ask about safety. During a time of recovery, simple everyday activities like taking a shower or dressing can be challenging. A quality short-term rehabilitation center provides a safe environment with assistive devices like rails in the hallway and walk-in showers. Check on the availability of staff at all hours so that your special concerns can be addressed at all times. Security should also be explored to make sure doors are secured and access to the facility is monitored.
4. Look into the quality of care. This can be a challenging category to access but it is important. Staff should be able to explain how they will respect and care for patients. How are special requests handled? How are visitors treated? Are there activities for residents to enjoy? What amenities are available? Finally, ask about communication between the caregivers and your family. There should be a way for both you and your family to ask questions about your care.
5. Take a tour. Try visiting the center before making a decision. If you are unable to tour a short-term rehabilitation center, ask a friend or family member to visit in your place. The facility should be clean, attractive and well-maintained. Ask to see a room but also visit the therapy gyms, social areas and dining rooms.
A wise choice
If you start your search for a short-term rehabilitation center at Whitehall of Deerfield, you may not have to look any further. To begin, Whitehall of Deerfield’s admissions professionals can fully explain your benefits and coverage. Whitehall of Deerfield has received Medicare’s highest rating in its five-star quality rating system of rehabilitation facilities and is accredited and certified by The Joint Commission, the nation’s leading and most respected health care accrediting authority. Quality care has always been and continues to be a priority at Whitehall of Deerfield.
When it comes to expertise, Whitehall of Deerfield is one of the best. A clinical nurse liaison works with each guest to design a personalized plan of service. One-on-one therapy is provided seven days a week by the area’s top therapists in multiple specialized gyms, which allows each guest to get individualized services they need. Safety is also addressed in many ways from accessible showers to barrier-free hallways.
There are few competitors than can match Whitehall of Deerfield’s ability to pamper their guests. Well-appointed rooms and suites feature world-class amenities including concierge service, high-speed wireless Internet, daily delivery of Starbucks coffee and newspaper, in-room massage and dozens of cable channels with a 24-hour channel of newly released movies. Guests select meals from menus and enjoy in-room dining. There are also complimentary fresh-baked treats and ice cream available at an onsite ice cream parlor and coffee shop. Friends and family will find valet parking when they come to visit and a variety of inviting areas for spending time together.
Also, Whitehall of Deerfield’s Elective Orthopedic Pavilion, catering exclusively to those recovering from joint replacement and elective orthopedic surgery, offers all private rooms.
At Whitehall of Deerfield, all needs are addressed by a caring and compassionate staff who are focused on each guest’s recovery. When it is time to return home, there are staff members ready to help with arrangements for any needed equipment or services.
See for yourself if a short-term stay at Whitehall of Deerfield answers all your needs by requesting a private tour. After meeting the team of professionals and seeing the luxurious surroundings, it will be clear that Whitehall of Deerfield is the ideal place for post-hospital, short-term rehabilitation.
And if you’re planning to have elective orthopedic or joint replacement surgery, don’t miss Whitehall of Deerfield’s Elective Orthopedic Pavilion’s free orientation on the third Tuesday of the month from 5 to 5:45 pm.
To learn more about Whitehall of Deerfield’s premier rehabilitation services, or schedule a tour, visit whitehallofdeerfield.com or call 847-945-4600.